We recently learned that a couple of Centennial School District students hacked into the district’s student information systems.
Since learning of the incident, our IT staff has found the access points believed to have been used by the students and has secured them. We are working internally and with law enforcement to remediate and determine the full extent of this data security incident.
Based on our initial investigation, it appears that the following information for many current and former students was accessed: name, birthdate, address, school, year in school, phone number, students’ school ID and state education numbers, gender, and race and ethnicity. We are in the process of identifying students who may have had additional information accessed and will be communicating with the families of those students with more specific information as soon as possible, which we anticipate will be within the next few weeks.
At this time, we do not believe the Social Security numbers of any current or former students were accessed in this incident.
The safety and security of our students is always our top priority. This is an ongoing investigation, but we wanted to make you aware of what happened and what we are doing to remediate this incident.
We hope that by the end of next week we will be able to provide additional information about this data security incident. Updates will be posted and updated on the Centennial School District website at csd28j.org.
List of Impacts:
The following groups of students were impacted as a result of this data security incident:
- Student information for students who attended Butler Creek Elementary during the 2016-17 school year that included student photos and emergency contact information.
- Student information on students who attended all Centennial schools from the 2012-13 and 2013-14 school year.
- ELPA21 assessment results for all students who participated in the assessment for the 2016-17 school year.
- Records of students who received a bus referral from the 2013-14 school year.
- Records of students in foster care that required transportation assistance during the 2013-14 school year.
Board Policy Document
The Blackboard Message sent to parents
English: Notice of incident
Spanish: Notice of Incident
Russian: Notice of Incident