It is truly an honor to serve as Superintendent in the community where I grew up. Centennial is an amazing community with strong traditions, growing opportunities and an increasingly diverse population of students and families. Our district has ten K-12 schools plus four partner schools where we educate approximately 6,500 students annually. Centennial is unique in so many ways, but I believe that what truly distinguishes us is our dedication to the students we serve. Centennial School District will provide the community with the exceptional schools it deserves.
The work of our district is driven by our academic goals, adopted after an extensive community input process, which are:
- Every child performs at grade level in reading, writing and math by the end of 3rd grade;
- Every child leaves 8th grade academically ready for 9th grade;
- Every student finishes 9th grade with credits necessary to graduate on time; and
- Every student graduates college and/or career ready.
These goals are based on two fundamental beliefs:
- Ethnicity, economic circumstance, primary language and special needs do not predict academic success; and
- Effective use of research-based instructional strategies predicts academic success.
In Centennial School District these beliefs are captured by our district equity policy (http://csd28j.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/GCCB_GDCB_IKAAA-D1.pdf) where we are charged with identifying and eliminating practices that lead to unequal outcomes. A strong community requires strong schools that prepare all of our students for academic success.
We are currently in the midst of the greatest education reform in our country’s history. Students need a quality education to allow them to be competitive in the world they live in. As we endeavor to become a high reliability school district we invite you to partner with us in reaching and sustaining our goals.
I look forward to working with students, staff, parents, and community members to make our goals a reality. We will be successful and we invite you to join us on this exciting journey.
Dr. Paul E. Coakley,